Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section [https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html]. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
2 of 2 < >

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Hip Labral Tear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip Labral Tear

Hey Guys,

Recently got an Arthrogram MRI done on my hip, which I was hesitant to do because I figured it could be disqualifying for BUD/S but got it done anyway. It came back that I had a hip labral tear and the doctor wanted me to get a hip arthroscopy. I went to another doctor, showed him my mobility in my hip (I experience no pain in every range of motion). He reviewed my arthrogram with a radiologist and they concluded that I had a very minor labral tear that wouldn't make sense to operate on, as I have no pain and full range of motion.

Doing a little research on the subject it seems as though many people have hip labral tears and aren't aware of it. And that many doctors perform arthroscopys for people who they believed, from the arthrogram, that they had a hip labral tear, only to operate and discover that they do not have a tear. I feel stupid getting the MRI done, as a little strengthening of my glute medius and maximus as well as my adductors have made running, squatting, lunges etc a breeze and my foot/knee is in a more neutral position than ever before (the reason I thought of getting an MRI).

Are there any waivers for this condition? The link that Scott Williams posted regarding medical waivers for the Navy is not working. The second doctor is currently writing me a letter of sorts explaining that the tear is very insignificant and doesnt affect my ability to perform any physical activity. I am just concerned that MEPs might not be open to it or allow me to obtain a waiver, unless I get an Arthroscopy, which could be even worse for my hip in the long run (so I've read).

Any input would be great!
    Thanks!
    Gordon

Working...
X