Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

RE-3P Re-Enlistment

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RE-3P Re-Enlistment


    While on active duty in the Marine Corps, I suffered a fall and back injury. I had compression wedge fractures of T10, T11, T12, and L1, and a herniated nucleus pulposis at T6/T7. I was placed on TDRL and 18 months later I was separated. I currently only have 20% disability through the VA. I've wanted to go to BUD/S for years now and I've read through MANMED and see nothing prohibiting me from reenlistment, but I've had trouble finding a recruiter who is willing to do the work. My DD-214 has a reenlistment code of RE-3P, and my discharge was honorable.

    What's the likelyhood of me being able to get back in and get a challenge contract with that reenlistment code? Ive got no physical problems, I work on my feet in a very active job 60 hours a week, and I coach crossfit and play Australian football. I don't want to go back in unless I can go to BUD/S.

    Thanks for your time in advance.

  • #2
    RE-3P means you need a COMNAV-RTC waiver.Get with a prior service recruiter (I believe it's a specialty.) They'll have you up to MEPs, get all of your medical history documentation, then send that out to get looked at (months). It's just like any other injury waiver, but to get back in you have to prove that your circumstances are much different then when the MEB discharged you.

    You also need to look at the requirements for the SO rating in particular.

    Altogether, get your ducks in a row, then go to the recruiter. Make sure his only job is to push buttons and set up appointments.