Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Latarget shoulder surgery disqualifying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latarget shoulder surgery disqualifying?

Hello, I’ve been training to be a SEAL the last 6 months and meanwhile suffered recurring shoulder dislocations playing hockey. Doctor said only way I can prevent future dislocations was through a latarget procedure, where they cut a piece of bone from my coracoid process and screw it to my glenoid.

I was told I could regain about 90 degrees of external rotation and overhead movement but none more than that. Would this surgery disqualifying me from becoming a SEAL? It’s my only hope cause I know recurring dislocations are already disqualifying.

I really need to have a definitive answer before I go through with the surgery because I currently have full ROM of my shoulder and can do push-ups and pull-ups no problem, only problem is the instability of my shoulder and if I know I can’t be a SEAL then I don’t want to go through the 6 month surgery process.

You would be best off going to speak to a recruiter and ask them directly, ask a couple if you don't like the first ones answer. Something you should have done months ago before initiating any preparation and training.

My two cents would be that if you are unable to gain back full ROM then it would be disqualifying because your ROM is tested at MEPS. Check into what other rates you qualify for, SEAL isn't the only NSW job out there and you can learn some useful skills with other rates.
    "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

I agree with BearPole, definitely go talk to a recruiter. You could also take the risk of not mentioning it when you start the process of getting a contract. Go read Aaron Vaughn's story. He got through BUDS without an ACL.

Comment

Yeah but...... when he has doctors records of chronic dislocations and already screwed himself by mentioning it on here with an account that presumably has his real name attached to it then there is no hiding it now, Admins know and Mods, some of which are Team guys, fitness coordinators for NSW etc. Most guys should just keep their mouths shut and keep their injuries off of these forums. Speak to a recruiter over an anonymous phone call and determine things that way regarding what you should do about your shoulder issues, call a few recruiters outside of your city. Don't spill your lifes story of injuries on here then try to lie on your entry forms thats a good way to display shoddy character and lack of forethought and inability to be covert. Keep in mind what you say on here is documented and is a way that allows a minimal guage of your character etc etc...

Lie about it on your entry forms then have your shoulder pop out during a PST or Boat Crew PT session...cause that will get you DQ'd just as quick as any other BS. Alot of guys get through training while having issues, most of which aren't discoveres until after the fact and they themselvea didn't even know... Like Goggins had 2 holes in his heart etc etc
        Get it fixed if able, if unable find an eligible rate and help the Navy in anyway you can. But its to late to hide it now you just spilled the beans on here. Don't be honest to a fault.
        "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
        X