Female SEAL/SWCC Candidates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OuterHeaven john_wright @all other ignorant men

Did you ever think about the fact that some of us females aren't actually interested in breaking down the "imaginary" glass ceiling? I can't speak for the other females on this forum, but personally, I don't give a **** about gender or proving that women can do it and while I'm perfectly secure in my identity as a female, if I could hypothetically do this as a male, I would in a second. I simply want to serve my country in the best and strongest way possible, regardless of gender, and the way to do that is the SEALS. Just because you don't like strong females and "tomboys" because you can't hyper-sexualize us and we don't fit your ideal of a woman who can feed you and look pretty, doesn't mean we are incapable of serving as Navy SEALS.

If you want to talk about why women shouldn't serve in spec ops, l'm happy to do that because I acknowledge that there are legitimate issues, but then let's talk science and physiology. I agree that the dynamics of a team would change drastically, but there's also no way to know how BUD/S would impact the dynamics and the way males would view their female counterparts after having been through that kind of training together. It's quite possible that experiencing the rigor of training and Hell Week would integrate women into the teams and they would be seen as 'one of the guys'. But this is all speculation and to claim otherwise is unintelligent and completely useless.

Finally, as far as training: I have spoken to multiple SEALS and other guys who have gone through spec ops training and they all agree that there is a certain baseline strength level that is necessary, but then it comes down to endurance and mental toughness. I do believe that women can absolutely reach that baseline strength but it is scientifically proven that women don't have the same endurance levels as men. The way guys get through SEAL training is by operating at sub-maximal strength levels for extended periods of time (ie 70% of their strength allows them to go for much longer periods of time). Because females have reduced abilities to maintain their strength and endurance at those high percentages, their baseline needs to be stronger so they're operating at an even lower sub-maximal level while doing the same PTs and evolutions as males. Essentially, a guy's 70% needs to be my 55% so I can maintain similar levels of endurance. And I fully intend to do it.
    Last edited by beabeast; 10-26-2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Even more to your point, how many guys are even going to BUD/S with strength levels that permit a larger level of sub maximal activity? If you can do 100 push ups, but your bench press is low, how sub maximal is that 100 push ups to your relative strength?

I say if you can meet the requirements, you should be able to become a SEAL - this coming from someone who is not a SEAL.

Comment

Im a guy and
        I think there will not be females in the sealteams for a while. I think when they start in special operation in general there will be female-only teams.
        What you have to understand is, that it is not about you. Whether it is a medical waiver or else. Its about the team. Are you risking the team security? Yes or no? Those questions have to be answered in a lot of testing beforehand. The teammember next to you is putting his life in your hands and especially in special operations that is second nature. If you cant drag a 300 pound guy (yes those exist and thats without gear) out of harms way when he is wounded thats a problem.
        I think though those women who pursue the goal of becoming a part of naval special warfare and special operations in general are from a character perspective far more qualified than many men. Women who want to join, join for an intrisic motivation. Because culture and society (extrinsic motivators ) dont encourage women to join the sealteams. While it is extremely encouraged for men. So there are men who bragg and want to be cool. And extrisic motivators will eliminate you from buds fortunately extremely fast hahaha and will get you killed on the battlefield. Women though have to go trough a lot of ******** and bs when they even have that dream in the first place which also makes them tougher and if they stay the course they most likely will have developed a deep intrisic motivation. To all females out there Check out Lindsey Valenzuela and check out Sealfit http://youtu.be/VzvFMuATu3o.

Also dont be those kind of people who just want to do it no matter what. Really cautiously think deeply about the mission the team and you as a part of that. So dont make this important decision emotionally but rationally. And no this is not sexist I made those mistakes a lot of times myself haha.

I think in the near future women only special forces teams are realistic.
        For a mixed team there will be a lot of evaluation.
        On the training battlefield but also socially (How will a mixed team effect Team Chemistry?)
        All in all women who want to join special operations are awesome man!

I am not a Seal. Those thoughts were inspired by Mark Divine and John Jocko Willink.

Alright I wish you good discipline and a good day hooyah.

An error created this post two times. So I deleted the other.

Comment

A friend who is in the pipeline stated there are females about to enter the SWCC pipeline, whatever your beliefs may be if the current standards are met and passed then so be it.

Comment

I'm all for women serving in combat roles, when done in a rationally thought out logical manner anyone can do anything. Matter of fact I have two older sisters who are tough as nails, one is a kick boxer and the other an internationally certified dive instructor and hyperbaric chamber operator. I bet they'd be up for the challenge as well as many other women alike. Now I might be going out on a limb saying this but what is sought after in a Frog is their Spirit. Yes, physical ability and strength etc etc is important and always an expected factor with candidates. What is sought after the physical aspect is the Spirit of the individual operator and what they offer to the Team and others. Those few who pass training passed it because they have Spirit and the will to succeed and overcome. Now if for some reason that Spirit incarnated as a Female then so be it... put to the test they will defeat any others who are weaker in Spirit so long as the physical capabilities are present.

Many prospective/past/present Frogs have been lucky...We happened to incarnate as Males with capable bodies. If a Female passes BUD/s and is utilized on a Team it will prove what I said earlier on. I mean I am humbled and motivated by any Female wanting to even pursue this pipeline...It's hard enough for guys even with our physiology lol.

Do whatever it is that drives you. Hell even if you are the only ever female SEAL i'm sure you'll be utilized as a "super-spy" in someway. Be Someone Special!
            "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

FEMALES! (this includes all programs). Believe me when I tell you will be treated fairly at Boot Camp (and beyond), and with the exception of not being in an 800 division, you will have the same opportunities for PT as your male counterparts. If if ever gets to the point where female candidate numbers are high enough, there will be integrated divisions. Until then, Dive Mo will work with your RDCs to ensure you make it to your PT sessions.

One can gather from previous posts that gaining acceptance will be an uphill battle. You will have to work to earn the respect of your classmates. You can't control a lot of what happens to you in life, but you can control you preparedness. Show up, Crush the PT, and excel as a basically trained sailor with a good attitude and you will be fine getting through the first hurdle. First things first.

Comment

What's the biggest challenge for females in SWCC training?

Comment

Cheychey1918, we simply don't know yet, but I would venture to guess they are largely the same as males. There is little time to think about it when you're going through the pipeline. Your entire focus must be on the training. It is a process of metamorphosis; ultimately the change comes from within as you challenge your perceived limits.
                  Many people come here and fail. Superstar athletes fail. Ordinary candidates fail. Some, however, come with a bit of a chip on their shoulders. Far from being number one in all their pursuits, they work harder and focus more intensely than some who are used to coming out on top. These are the achievers, and women may well fall into this category of having to prove themselves worthy of the finish. It's almost an advantage, really, to not be the lead dog of the pack, but the hungry runner-up.
                  I encourage this line of discussion. Diverse points of view are what makes a team stronger, if it is willing to listen. Do not let anyone tell you not to try, for only you can know if it is right. The battle is yours, and in so winning you strengthen the team.
                  Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
                  35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

I feel like one of the biggest challenges for women could be the fact that a very high number of men don't believe women should be able to be accepted into these jobs still. So a woman going into it might have the issue of not gaining respect as quickly as her male counterparts, which also rolls into: all the candidates in the BUD/S class documentary seemed to help each other out in some way or another so I would assume that's the case with most classes. Women might not get that help, or support (moral and/or physical) for a better word or, not as much from her classmates because she is a woman and a fair amount of men don't believe women can do this or don't want her there period. It might be harder and take longer for her to gain that respect. Again, not all men think this but, a surprising amount do. So a woman going into this might need to build more mental strength to help get herself through.

Comment

Working...
                    X