Thread: body fat %

body fat %

so this may be a silly question but i wanted to ask about body fat percentages before entering the first phase. the reason why i ask is one of my coworkers approached me (he knows im leaving for the navy and he is also a personal trainer) and he was talking to me about body fat % maybe being too low, conflicting with the fact that we do long runs, swims, pt sessions etc and not having any fat to burn in the event that maybe nutrition wasnt enough or something like that... but the way i look at it the more fat i have on my body just means more weight i have to lug around during well everything lol,
    ...anyways he got me thinking so i had him run a BMI (body mass index) test on me about 4 hours ago
    im about 5'9.5 ish , 171 lbs and 4% body fat,
    so im looking for a response from somebody wth experience from buds or just knowledge of fitness and stuff, but feel free to let me know what you think anyways
    thanks for your time.
    The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
    -George S. Patton

Re: body fat %

No offense, but I think you may be over looking your situation. You seem healthy, and that's all that you have to worry about. Don't get to technical about it, just do your best when you get there.

So many guys out there are worrying about small stuff. What's the temp of the water? Should I start using boots now? Do I have too much/too little body fat? Guess what. It all goes down the toilet when you actually get there. You won't care about any of that.

Just train hard dude and eliminate the option of quitting. That's the main focus; don't stray from your main goal.
    "A Man Can Be Beaten In Two Ways, If He Gives Up Or He Dies." -Richard Machowicz

Quote Originally Posted by Kitts910 View Post
    No offense, but I think you may be over looking your situation. You seem healthy, and that's all that you have to worry about. Don't get to technical about it, just do your best when you get there.

So many guys out there are worrying about small stuff. What's the temp of the water? Should I start using boots now? Do I have too much/too little body fat? Guess what. It all goes down the toilet when you actually get there. You won't care about any of that.

Just train hard dude and eliminate the option of quitting. That's the main focus; don't stray from your main goal.
    Actually, body fat is a very considerable aspect when it comes to something like BUD/S; I was planning on asking about this myself since I just got my own body composition testing done a couple days ago. It isn't "small stuff". Too little body fat and you can lose body heat too quickly, or not have enough energy for long distance evolutions. I doubt there's a worry about too much of it for BUD/S students, but I think most every American knows the risks of too much body fat since it is so prevalent in our country.

Anyways, carrollj26, you might want to get your information double checked. A BMI doesn't tell you what your body fat is. You want the skin pinch test for the most accurate read of your body fat. I'm 5'7", 145, very lean and still at 10% body fat. Generally, under 8% is considered unhealthy unless you're a serious (read: olympic, spec ops, triathlon, etc.) athlete. Even then, under 5% is dangerous. There's no way your personal trainer would have let you just walk away at 4%.

Personally my plan is to train and work down to the 8-9% level, maintain it until I get my orders to BUD/S, and then let it come back up a little bit so I have some good energy storage. In any case, an extra 2-3% body fat only means like 3-7 (depending on your initial weight) more pounds anyways. If you can't handle that.. you may want to reconsider what you're getting yourself into.

My own personal question(s) for this topic:
    Are there any body fat records from candidates, and what other body fat info is there that is good to know for BUD/S?
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides
    *08APR2013 SO Contract*

Listen guys, I'm not saying that this is something to completely throw out the window. I'm just saying that having 2% more body fat will not get you as far as having that much more motivation. In a lot of books it says that the skinny guys will have a more difficult time in the cold. It also says that the guys with a lower body fat percentage have a harder time swimming because of the lowered ability to float. If you truly are motivated, none of this will stop you. This really is a decent question, and I bet that one of the admins can answer it for you if it really does worry you. If I was you, I would just be a little more motivated with my reps and my times for the PST. That's the first step. You can't get in without passing it. If you want your trident, the cold won't bother you and you certainly won't be saying "Man, I really wish I had a little more body fat."

By the way, I was just reading "Hell Week" written by a former team 6 guy and it said that by the end of Hell Week, the guys that had body fat are gone, or it was all burned off.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Whatever happens will happen for a reason, but I'm sure that it won't stop you from being a SEAL.
    "A Man Can Be Beaten In Two Ways, If He Gives Up Or He Dies." -Richard Machowicz

I would get your BMI rechecked by someone who knows what they are doing. 4% means you are more than likely uncomfortable on a daily basis and constantly dehydrates.

I have had a very low body fat % before at 5'10 155lbs and maintained it for a prolonged period. I am now 5'10 185 about 10% and find that I am over all much healthier, stronger, even better at the endurance requirements because of my bodies natural ability to sustain itself with energy.