Thread: Question on increasing pull up reps

Question on increasing pull up reps

In the past I have mainly done pull ups using the narrow vertical handles to do pull ups instead of a bar, and when I attempted to try out my bar pull ups I wasn't able to do more than 5. Besides pyramids and max rep methods what weight exercises would you recommend to start quickly increasing my max rep count?

Re: Question on increasing pull up reps

Quote Originally Posted by Agnaraed View Post
    In the past I have mainly done pull ups using the narrow vertical handles to do pull ups instead of a bar, and when I attempted to try out my bar pull ups I wasn't able to do more than 5. Besides pyramids and max rep methods what weight exercises would you recommend to start quickly increasing my max rep count?
    First, you need to research things for your self. If you have to rely on every to do everything for you, that's a step in the wrong direction. You can find a suitable answer to this question within 5 minutes of looking via search bar. If you searched for 45 minutes you would have future questions answered.

But to answer your question, i have always liked Stew Smith-styled PT. The PTG is all you need, but Stew's 2 week pullup push workout will boost you up and get you to around 10-12 pullups if your at 5 right now. Google Stew Smith 2 week pullup push workout..
    Also, when you get to the page this routine is on, it will say something like:

If you can do less than 5 pull-ups do 25 pull-ups for your daily plan below

don't do that, i repeat don't do that, do x5 your max, so if you do 5, do 25 for your daily plan. After that, do PTG. PTG is a guide, so you can customize and and tailor it to your needs.
    Sorry if this seems like advertising, just want to put up an informative post that can help.

Do the core lifts

Bench
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Should Press

Those will hit all groups. Do barbell rows as well. It's laid out in the PTG.

In order to increase strength and endurance do a cycle and vary the weight each week:

something like:

3 sets of 10 reps - 1st week
    1 set of 10, 1 set of 8, 1 set of 6 - 2nd week
    3 sets of 5 - 3rd week
    3 sets of 3 - 4th week

then repeat it.

This will help build a good foundation in strength, while also making muscular endurance gains. You should see some results in increased pullups since your strengthing all your muscle groups.

Lastly,

Pick a number of pullups (since you can only do like 5, let's say your number is 10). Try to do 10 pullups in AS FEW sets as possible. Try to take short breaks and not long ones. Try to decrease the number of sets it takes you to do the number each week, then once you can do the 10 in one set, increase that number to 15-20 then keep working up.

So for example: say you do 5 on your first set, then 1 pullup for 5 more sets. Doing this 2x a week you'll probably stay around the same for the first week or two. Then you'll probably be able to get a set of 5 or a set of 6, and then 1,1,1,1. Just keep trying to slowly progress and get 10 in as few sets as possible.

If you can find you can do a lot of pullups on the very first set and then you drop substantially, try to balance it out to a set number. THE GOAL IS AS FEW SETS AS POSSIBLE. So if you can do a set of 5 and then 5 sets of 1 pullup, it'd be better to do 5sets of 2 pullups then the overall 6 sets. It's a little confusing, but you'll figure out what works for you and just do it!

You can do this with pushups, situps, and any other excerise as well.

Start small. Train hard and stick with it and you'll eventually make progress. Don't expect it to happen over night. If you train it will eventually come.

I used this method a long time ago when I couldn't do 3 sets of 10 pullups. I picked 30 and I wouldn't leave the gym until I got 30 pullups in. I orginially could only do 5 at a time, then I would try to get 6 on a few sets and then 5 for the rest. Eventually I would be doing 5 sets of 6 pullups and slowly increasing. Once I got to 3x10, i started adding weight using a dip belt and doing the weight cycle method above.