Thread: Quitting smoking!

Quitting smoking!

I am currently an almost pack a day smoker. My Current rough scores are 8:30/113/108/21/9:00. I'm working on quitting now, not so easy after 8 years smoking, but it will be done. Was anyone here a smoker who quit? If so how much did your scores improve. I'm curious as to how much it really matters. I know smoking takes oxygen away from your muscles, which could effect my pushups/situps/pullups. And of course effects lung capacity so it makes me take shorter strokes and come up for breath more. I've talked to some people who think quitting will hurt my scores rather than help. I assume they don't know what they're talking about. thanks for reading.

Re: Quitting smoking!

Hey Dwest,
    I smoked for about 6 years and was up to a pack a day for about a year. I quit a year and half ago when I decide I really wanted to get my **** together. I can't answer your question about whether or not your scores will improve b/c I don't have a pre-quitting smoking score. I can say however that a couple of weeks after I had stopped, I felt a lot healthier and didn't feel like crap after runs and the like and i don't think it impaired my training what so ever.

You also have to consider that smoking effects more than just your lungs. There are studies that show smoking has negative effects on your skeletal system too, causing bones to be weaker and take longer to heal when broken. I've heard a lot about people getting stress fractures/broken bones at BUD/S, by smoking you would only increase this risk to yourself.

Smoking 1 pack a day, while it may seem to be a lot, really is not that much. There are people who smoke 4-5 packs/day. I would quit now while you can. It's going to suck at first but it gets easy after a while and you'll be healthier.

Thanks for the advice man. I didn't know if effects your bone strength. Very good to know. Smoked my last cig about 6 hours ago. I want one now but it's not too bad. I just keep telling myself that if I dont have the willpower to quit smoking, how the hell could I make it through BUD/s. Ha

I think the best way to quit is to quit down to about 3-5 cigarettes a day and then go cold turkey. I know there are some health problems that can occur if you just drop off the deep end and quit cold turkey, but I'm not sure how those will affect you since you're health is already through the roof from those scores. I also used to smoke a pack a day, but decided that my fitness was more important. You also start to smell better, your fingernails don't stink, and your teeth become whiter. Not to mention you become more relaxed!

Lazur posted a pretty good info link on one of these threads on smoking, I would check that out. I wouldn't count on your times improving too much, but you will definitely notice that your endurance will sky rocket because you won't be able to feel that pain in your lungs anymore, now it'll just be pain in your legs, arms, or whatever.

"Smoking 1 pack a day, while it may seem to be a lot, really is not that much. There are people who smoke 4-5 packs/day. I would quit now while you can. It's going to suck at first but it gets easy after a while and you'll be healthier."

1 is too much, it doesn't matter how much other people smoke.

jtrex you're right, but the purpose of that statement was to demonstrate that if you're at 1 pack/day the level of addiction is not very severe, so you should quit now because it only gets harder.

Quitting is successful so far. Going on 2 weeks without a cigarette, and I already feel better when I wake up in the morning and after my runs. Haven't seen any difference in my scores yet. The last swim I timed was an 8:43, so actually a little slower. Runs still the same, 9:03 yesterday morning. I also timed my 4 mile the other day at 27:48 on the trails ( I'm sure sand will be much more difficult).
    Solid, I most definitley did put up those scores at a pack a day. 2 years ago I was almost 2 packs. I've been training my *** off for about 5 years now. Just because you're not a smoker and can't put up those scores is no reason to disrespect me like that on my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryknow View Post
    Dwest82 do you hear a weezeing sound when you breath harder? I quit smoking awhile ago but it's still there and very annoying. And I can only hear it right before I inhale.
    Right before I quit I had that, but I'm pretty sure it was because I had a bad chest cold. It was gone about 3 days after I quit smoking.

Although to me it is hard to believe those scores, but I am in no position to doubt. I have faith in this communities truthfulness since we all have 1 goal in mind. That is why we are here. I am really impressed with the scores at your level of smoking. I do smoke every now and then(a black and mild every few weeks and that's even too much for me to like.) But I would say smoke the pack a day, then each week take away one cigarette each week. After your down to the 1 cigarette, try and smoke 1 cigg every other day. Then keep the space between days a little longer, until the mentality kicks in. I know nothing of this stuff, but I'm hoping it helps. It may not be a fast process because even a smoker can go through withdrawal, that is why I am saying go slow about it. You have time to enlist, how old are you actually? Besides, you need those lungs for the 50 yard/meter underwater swim. Good luck to you bro!

It's been over a month now since I quit smoking. Doing OK. Cravings are still brutal though. Did another mock pst the other day. 8:40/106/123/22/8:53
    So there is some small improvement on the run. Best part about it is I don't hack up insane amounts of phlegm and **** afterwards. I also feel better in the mornings so it's easier to get my *** to the gym before work. Overall I am glad I quit, though I miss it terribly. I am 21 years old. I was in with a Seal contract when I was 18 but ended up getting an RE-8 discharge due to a medical condition. It's now fixed up and I am reenlisting soon and trying to get a Seal or SWCC contract again.

Good to hear bro. I am 19 giving myself a year of training to get my *** back into shape. Well no less than a year anyway, could be 2 or more depending on certain follow up stuff. Which my recruiter said the Navy might be able to do. I should look into that actually. I had this huge slap to the face being lectured by a recruiter(he got the boot which was funny) and then some guy came in getting his SEAL contract. That was jammed into my head the whole night, but it motivated me still. Bummed me out yes, but who cares, it doesn't mean I can't get one. How did you stop smoking? I am not a fan of smoking, but I do smoke. I just do it for fun or socializing with my friend I knew for years. But I feel like even that will affect me, even though I smoke barely half a pack a month or 2. And what did you do to get your scores so high? I keep throwing in different things but I feel like it is just the same old same old. I used to do 100 reps of pull ups a day, but I still got nowhere which really p***** me off. Any tips?

I tried everything to quit smoking. Chantix is the only thing that worked for me, but it's expensive ( thank god for good insurance at work haha). It's hard for me to explain why my scores were so high even while smoking. I've smoked since middle school and have always been a long distance runner. Maybe my lungs are just trained with the smoking. If you only smoke a pack or two a month it should be absolutely no problem for you to quit because you're obviously not addicted. But if you're really having a problem with it I would recommend just not doing the things you do when you smoke. It may sound crazy, but I stopped hanginf out with my friends that smoke and won't hang out with them until I feel like I can resist the cravings, which haven't stopped at all by the way. I figure it's not a big deal to stop hanging out with friends because when you're in the Navy you'll hardly ever see them anyways. It's a natural occurance after high school to sever ties with friends. That's about all the quit smoking advice I can give. As for the scores. Plain and simple I bust my butt in the gym, pool, and running 6 days a week. And even on my rest day I still swim 1000-1500 yards. Just work hard and always push yourself harder than you did the day before. Good luck brother. After all, The only easy day was yesterday. HOOYAH!
    Last edited by Admin; 05-29-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Edited for profanity. Discourteous and unprofessional conduct will get you banned.