Thread: Gaining Weight

Gaining Weight

I am a 15 year old who is 6' but only 140lbs. I am looking for some advice on creating a meal plan to go along with my workoutsthat will help me gain some body mass and muscle so I will get up to about 160. Any tips are appreciated.

Re: Gaining Weight

Mike Caviston has covered this in the Nutrition section in the STICKY NOTES START HERE. (high emphasis on the START HERE).
    Jesus told them. “For I assure you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

I have a similar question also, but I am hesitant to start a new thread. It seems people do not take kindly to misplaced or answered questions. I have done a forum search and haven't found anything to answer my question. I am nineteen, about 5'9" and 140 Lbs on a good day. I have been struggling to put on weight for awhile now but to little avail. I have a VERY high metabolic rate, it runs in my family. My PT scores are competitive none the less with my most recent "mock" PST at 8:32 swim, 111 push-ups, 97 sit-ups, 23 pull-ups, and a 9:05 run time. For my size though i would like to say I am rather strong, 45 pound **** bell fly's at 12 reps/5sets isn't a problem for me at all, and I can military press 185lbs. I also have a 19-ish minute 3mile run time, and have multiple ocean/bay swims under my belt. With all that said I've had a lot of people hate on me that I am too small and will get picked on in BUD/s. I may not be the biggest guy you've ever seen, but I've got a heart big enough to makeup for my lean build in my opinion. My question is will I still have a hard time with the heavier PT, and be picked on/ goon squad because of my smaller stature? I think that pound for pound, I have much more muscle and muscle discipline then a lot of the other candidates I am going up against. That is all, thoughts and 0.02 cents please.... The only easy day was yesterday!

-Metal

Same kind of issue, I fluter around 145 but kind of stuck here partially due to wrestling, anyways, I also have a very high metabolism. For me personally though, I've found that Instead of 3 dedicated meals, take in food throughout the day (healthy of course) along with breakfast lunch and dinner and then post workout drink a protein shake, about 1-2 scoops to 12oz of skim milk. within the past year I've put on 10 lbs while staying lean. Just my $.02 but definitely check out Mike Caviston's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    I have a similar question also, but I am hesitant to start a new thread. It seems people do not take kindly to misplaced or answered questions. I have done a forum search and haven't found anything to answer my question. I am nineteen, about 5'9" and 140 Lbs on a good day. I have been struggling to put on weight for awhile now but to little avail. I have a VERY high metabolic rate, it runs in my family. My PT scores are competitive none the less with my most recent "mock" PST at 8:32 swim, 111 push-ups, 97 sit-ups, 23 pull-ups, and a 9:05 run time. For my size though i would like to say I am rather strong, 45 pound **** bell fly's at 12 reps/5sets isn't a problem for me at all, and I can military press 185lbs. I also have a 19-ish minute 3mile run time, and have multiple ocean/bay swims under my belt. With all that said I've had a lot of people hate on me that I am too small and will get picked on in BUD/s. I may not be the biggest guy you've ever seen, but I've got a heart big enough to makeup for my lean build in my opinion. My question is will I still have a hard time with the heavier PT, and be picked on/ goon squad because of my smaller stature? I think that pound for pound, I have much more muscle and muscle discipline then a lot of the other candidates I am going up against. That is all, thoughts and 0.02 cents please.... The only easy day was yesterday!

-Metal

Understand HeavyMetal, that you will not be at all "picked on" in BUD/S because of your size. You should already know that you will encounter every type of body size in BUD/S, from short and fat to tall and skinny and everything in between. And for the guys who make it to phase, no one gives a **** what you look like or your height. You will be in a boatcrew with guys your same height, guaranteed; all that matters in BUD/S is your ability to carry your own weight and put out under that boat, log, etc. Everything will change when you have to work together as a team. A guy who you looked up to in all of Prep and BO will suddenly become someone you barely respect when he is put under extreme stress, and someone you absolutely despise/hate will become your best friend because he was a beast when the going got tough. If you want to be one of the guys who is looked up to--one of the guys people try to line up NEXT to in a height line because they know you're strong and can put out--get some strong legs and a strong neck and don't worry about quitting; worry about kickin ***. You won't be the smallest guy there and that's almost guaranteed. There are a couple things I would have done before BUD/S if I had known how much they sucked: first, do whatever you can to get your neck extremely strong. A friend of mine was in a previous class and quit during HW because of the boat. Before he made it back to my class, he worked on neck exercises 4 days per week. He was one of the strongest guys under a boat and stayed in the 2 spot without switching for the majority of HW. (He made it through, of course). Also, work on lunges as much as possible. Your intro to log PT will go through different exercises ranging from throwing the log over your head to situps. When you ACTUALLY do log PT, it consists of 90% knee-to-ground lunges. Try to imagine 2 straight hours of lunges while your holding 40-50lbs in the chest carry position....and your "rest" is at extended arm: That is what most log PT will consist of. When you do lunges, do them CORRECTLY, with a full range of motion. If you decide to cheat and only go half way during log PT, congratulations you just made the other end heavier for the rest of your crew. I didnt' mean for this post to be so long, but I hope it helps someone. Bottom line, worry about getting strong and putting out--not about your size, weight or how much you'll be "picked on".

I appreciate your response very much IS2Hercules.. I definitely need to put some motivation behind my chicken legs! haha

I would imagine that guys who weight less at BUD/S have a much easier time. The majority of BUD/S consists of lifting your own body weight. You guys who want to gain weight I would guess would have a much harder time doing that if you gained weight. Why would you want to do that to yourself? Just concentrate on getting strong and lifting your body weight with ease and you'll be fine from what I hear.

I was 145 and went to 160 in about 4 months. All I did was increase my protein intake... A lot. But make sure your getting good solid protein. No creatine shakes or whatever. I just ate a lot of natural peanut butter and other nuts. And scarfed down red meat whenever I could. This along with increased low rep high weight exercises seemed to do the trick for me. Just don't lose sight of getting a balanced diet in other categories and your running and swimming. I was and still am a very skinny guy but I am the heaviest now than I ever had been so I thought I would share my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    I would imagine that guys who weight less at BUD/S have a much easier time. The majority of BUD/S consists of lifting your own body weight. You guys who want to gain weight I would guess would have a much harder time doing that if you gained weight. Why would you want to do that to yourself? Just concentrate on getting strong and lifting your body weight with ease and you'll be fine from what I hear.
    There are advantages and disadvantages to all body types in BUD/S. Smaller guys, for instance, generally have an easier time with the O-Course, timed runs and general PT; however the smaller guys are usually struggle with log pt and boats on heads, as well as surf torture. Surf torture was my 2nd most hated thing, right behind land portage. Being a skinny guy sucked in the water, while some of my friends who had more muscle mass and fat thought of surf torture as a break. The bigger guys always had an advantage with logs and boats...it seemed they won every race. This makes sense because it's a simple matter of weight carried to body weight ratio. It's easier to carry 50lbs when you weigh 200lbs (only 25% of body weight, whereas 50lbs on a guy that weighs 150 = 1/3rd body weight). When it came to timed runs and O-course, the bigger guys were usually a little slower.

I guess the bottom line is that you need to train for everything, not just body weight exercises. The strength portion of the PTG is there for a reason, so utilize it; prepare your body the best you can for anything that's going to happen.

hooyah. Thanks for clearing that up.