Thread: Pushups, Situps Question

Pushups, Situps Question

So I started taking PSTs around mid February and found out how much work I need to do before I ship out July 16th as an AO. I want to get a SEAL contract by then and I know I can push myself to get my numbers up.

However, our boatcrew leader suggested to me I should probably do pushups and situps everyday to quickly boost my numbers. I tried this for about two weeks and only saw a minimal gain. On Monday I took my 4th PST in the past month and a half and these were my scores.

8:16 sidestroke (down from 9:52 a month&1/2 ago)
    50 pushups (up from 45 two weeks ago)
    70 situps (up from 67 two weeks ago)
    3 pullups (from 0 on my last PST two weeks ago)
    11:21 1.5 mile run (down from 13:32 a month&1/2 ago)

My pullups need work I know that. But my question was...does doing pushups and situps everyday actually work? I saw minimal gain and I gave myself about three days of rest after doing ten days of 200-300 pushups a day and about 300-500 situps a day.

What's your opinion on pushups/situps daily? It doesn't seem to be working and I'm pretty sure it's just tearing muscle rather than building it. I think I'm going to go back to Stew Smith's workouts because those seem to work best for me. I want to know if anyone here has ever tried doing pushups/situps everyday though.

I've seem to have had success doing pullups whenever I walk by my door bar, but that's about it.

Re: Pushups, Situps Question

As for me, When I would do push ups and sit ups without anything else I noticed minimal gains as well. So I recommend using a weighed vest or belt or chaining ab and chest work outs in order to increase weight. That's what has worked for me.

Unfortunately getting your numbers up really isn't a matter of whether or not you do 500 push ups a day its all about slowly weaving yourself into a pattern where you can slowly build up strength. Your pushups will complement your pullups and your pullups in tern will complement your pushups. Situps will help you all around with running and swimming. I would start out with the Physical Training Guide that they provide you on this website for starters. Don't tweak it at all until you know where you really are, which is going to take about a month of really following it. So what I would do is start the Guide, follow it well and your numbers will go up garuenteed.

Good luck man, and remember when you think your all out, you always have 10 more reps in you.

George

It works out differently for everyone, I saw a ten rep increase after like a week of that

Unfortunately I think there is a rule now where if you don't earn an SO contract within 90 days of your ship date, you can't get it for whatever reason.

On the pushup thing, yes you should be doing lots every day, but build up to it or you will tear muscle. I do an average of 5-700 push and sits every other day right now. Both are over 100 on a mock PST.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtaliesin View Post
    Unfortunately I think there is a rule now where if you don't earn an SO contract within 90 days of your ship date, you can't get it for whatever reason.

On the pushup thing, yes you should be doing lots every day, but build up to it or you will tear muscle. I do an average of 5-700 push and sits every other day right now. Both are over 100 on a mock PST.
    Hm, I definitely haven't heard about that rule at all and I've been talking to a lot of SPECWAR coordinators. But thanks, I'm going to give myself more rest. I can easily push out 600 pushups in a day, it's just I'm not seeing any fantastic gains when I go to my PST.

The PT Guide George mentioned had a few interesting things in it that seem will probably help me (especially with running, I cut off 2:11 in the last month and a half but I'm also cutting significantly less off every PST so I will try doing more intervals and sprints).

I realized today while I was at the gym that I don't think I lack strength when it comes to doing pushups; just endurance...so I'm going to try doing higher rep sets of pushups and more max sets and see how that works out on my next PST (on top of extra rest). I've also been reading that it helps to just go slower in the down position (or hold in the down position as long as possible), almost as if doing a negative so I'm going to try that also and see how that works out.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

That 90 day rule was told to me by a PST administrator at an official PST. There was a guy testing who had just gone over the 90 day mark and was not trying very hard at all because he was ****** off that he couldn't get a contract anymore.

No seek if you don't have the endurance don't go out and do a max set or higher reps just because you will be all burnt out and won't accomplish anything. Start out very slow!! Start with 6x15 reps with a 30 second break inbetween sets and you will see results in 2 weeks garuenteed

Read the PTG again.

It's been suggested that you don't need to do more than 200 pushups and 60 pullups a day.
    Focus your workout into getting a certain amount of pushups (example - 100) in as few sets as possible. Also put very little rest in between (30secs - 60 secs max) sets.

You can use this method with pullups as well.
    Start small - 10 pullups. Your goal before you leave the gym, should be to get this. So if you have to do 10 sets of 1 then its ok. Next week work on decreasing the rest in between each set if you still can't do more than 1-2 for each set. Remember do go for as few sets as possible.
    A set of 5 and then 5 sets of 1 is worse than 5 sets of 2.

It's definitely possible to get to 100 pushup by only doing this method 2 or 3 times a week. You need to focus your training, find the most efficient way possible. If you can get the same effect in half the time, why waste the time doing extra.

The problem with doing 600 or so pushups a day, is you are usually taking really long breaks in between, so your not giving yourself an effective workout.

Another issue with massive repetitions throughout the day is that if you aren't taking enough time between sets you will eventual overtrain and could develop tendonitis in the elbow. I've had friends do so and it sucks. "Greasing the groove" by doing low reps over 12 hours does help with muscle memory but for increases in one time endurance ( as in the 2:00 PST event) may not be as quick in coming as you would want or expect.

Then again everybody reacts differently to different kinds of stress on the body. If it works and you are remaining safe and injury free then keep up the good work in however you structure your workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by nickdich View Post
    The problem with doing 600 or so pushups a day, is you are usually taking really long breaks in between, so your not giving yourself an effective workout.
    A 500 push workout I do about every other week is as follows: Do 15 seconds of pushups (I get 12-13 in) every 30 seconds on the dot until 500 are completed, thats about 25 a minute and the workout is over in around 20 minutes. (push from 0-15, rest from 15-30, push from 30-45, rest from 45-60) How is that taking really long breaks in between?

Quote Originally Posted by iamtaliesin View Post
    How is that taking really long breaks in between?
    I think Nickdich is just addressing those who will drop down every now and then to get a daily total of 600 push-ups, not those who diligently work towards a large number in a compact amount of time, such as yourself.

Obviously it's possible for someone to hit 600 push ups throughout the day with lengthy breaks, and that someone not be you. No reason to troll here over slightly misinterpreted language, we're all on the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Atromos View Post
    I think Nickdich is just addressing those who will drop down every now and then to get a daily total of 600 push-ups, not those who diligently work towards a large number in a compact amount of time, such as yourself.

Obviously it's possible for someone to hit 600 push ups throughout the day with lengthy breaks, and that someone not be you. No reason to troll here over slightly misinterpreted language, we're all on the same team.
    I agree, my bad.

No don't do them everyday this will cause injury due to the fact that muscles need time to repair. Once you workout your muscle will tear and will make room for more muscle which is why it hurts the next day it's not a bad pain it's a good pain. If you do sit ups or whatever the next day you workout the newly formed muscle tissue will tear and not basically make it so no gain is gained until it receives about 2 days of rest. Hope this helps