Thread: Trying to crossrate

Angry Trying to crossrate

So I got the news today that my ECM didn't want to release me from my current rate, saying Navy has spent too much time and money on training me. That I would have to wait until end of contract to crossrate. My question is should I keep pushing the issue to crossrate, continue to push my package and keep trying or is this a final say so? I'm not entirely sure how this process works and would like some insight. Will having extreemly competitive scores on the PST help my issue?

Re: Trying to crossrate

i have decided not to let this get me down. i am still going to train hard and submit a package and push it as often as i can to try and get this done.

SEAL Senior Chief

When you submit a package for BUD/S the SEAL Master Chief will look at your current rate and actually walk over to your Community Manager (they are all in the same building in Millington TN) and ask him/her if they are willing to release you. Your community manager then looks you up in his/her system to see where you are in your career. If you just finished A or C school a few months ago it does not make fiscal sense to then send you to BUD/S and lose a trained sailor who has yet to perform his job for a reasonable amount of time. What is a reasonable time? That all depends on your rate and job; you may have to wait until your PRD is up at your current command.

Best of Luck

Senior

Wodom,

I am an active duty guy who is also hoping to earn orders to BUD/S in the near future. From talking with the NSW scouts and reading the info on this board you and I both have our work cut out for us getting orders to BUD/S as fleet guys.

I would refer to MILPERSMAN 1220-300; it explains the SO rating and the various requirements to convert. You can just do a web search and find it. There is also some general guidelines for fleet people on main page of this site.

Get a deployment in the bag, then submit the package.

You're gonna have to get a PTS quota as well. That is my dilemma. The ECM will release you after you have been in your rate for about three years unless you go to another school.

I heard 24 months. I also read that a deployment is required, correct me if I am wrong. Personally I see nothing wrong with that because it is only fair to give the Navy what it payed for and to be an asset as best as possible before considering crossrating. You are in that rate, so make the best of it.